Monday, February 21, 2011

What is it?

Some people just have it, but I'm not sure what it is.  Some people just ooze success and confidence.  They strike up conversations with people and put them at ease with natural smiles.  They are not supermodel beautiful, and as a matter of fact, some of them are very...um...homely.  But they have what it takes to understand people and make relationships easily.

What is it?  And why don't I have it?  I went to school with them and I made the mistake of linking to many of them on LinkedIn, which sends me regular postcards about their accomplishments and success.  My sisters seem to have it, too.

I'm not dumb.  I'd like to think that my intelligence is above average (having actually taken an IQ test once, I will only state that I'm almost 2 sigma above average) which isn't bad.  But intelligence isn't enough.  As a matter of fact, it might be a problem if not used properly.  But I can't figure out how some people can just walk into a situation and control it.  I don't thaw out until I've been in a group for a while.  I have good ideas, but I'm often too shy to express them.  Or too slow.

Self-confidence and charm.  Those are the weapons that conquer the world.  Everything else is pointless without them.  It's what nerds wish they had.  It's why the jocks rule.  It's what the executives that know jack have and why the brilliant peons toil.  You can't fake those, at least not for long.

Rant Complete.  End Transmission.

No comments:

Post a Comment