Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Herein Lies the Proof of Universal Ignorance


“I know nothing.”

That was the famous catch phrase of Sergeant Schultz when pressed by Colonel Klink on Hogan’s Heroes.  Of course, he said it with a thick fake accent and perfect comic timing.  His proclamation of ignorance must have paid a lot of bills.  It has similar comic effect today when used by politicians although it doesn’t pay any bills but rather allows them to continue life unfettered by the criminal justice system.  But I digress.

You know, Socrates was right on the subject of professing ignorance.  He went to the Oracle, which told him he was the wisest man.  And the father of western thought wrestled with this for a while and finally produced the greatest pearl of wisdom ever to grace the mind of a man.  Briefly stated, he said that if he was indeed wise, it was only because he knew he did not know - a sentiment that would plague freshmen college students for ages.  It’s not knowing something that is important, but knowing your limits.  Brilliant!  Any tactician will tell you that it isn’t where you’re strong that is the problem, but where you are weak.  And if you don’t know where you are weak, that can be deadly.

So…how do I determine what I don’t know?  I suppose if I add up all that I do know and subtract that from the sum total of all knowledge, I’ll be left with a remainder of what I don’t know.  There’s only one problem with this theory, and that is simply that I don’t know the sum total of all knowledge.  By definition it’s mostly things I don’t know.  Even if it was just one thing that I didn’t know, who knows how big that one thing is?  I think it would be safe to say that the sum total of the universe of knowledge, right down to “What color was Socrates’ underwear?” approaches an infinite amount.

Got your brain in twist yet?  Let’s perform a simple mathematical operation.  Let’s get a percentage of the universe’s knowledge that I have.  That’s simple.  I simply divide the amount that I have, however small, by the sum total which is approaching an infinite amount.  Reaching way back into my bag of finite knowledge I pull out some screwy calculus from Mr. Hively’s 12th Grade AP Class.  When dividing an amount by another that is approaching infinity, the answer is (drum roll please): zero.  Not close to zero…but actually zero.  (And you thought you’d never use that calculus.)

So there you have it folks.  My percentage of knowledge is 0%, making it fact.  I know nothing.  Perhaps you’d like to substitute your amount of knowledge into the equation and see if you come up with a different answer…

No comments:

Post a Comment