Monday, November 15, 2010

Robes

I never understood the attraction with bathrobes until recently. I just looked at them as a convenience. I never understood why Hawkeye always wore one in MASH. (One of the best TV shows ever.) Sure it says "Hey, I'm lazy and unapologetic", but it also says something more.

In days of yore, robes were only worn by people of nobility. Kings, regents, and such. Everyone else wore work clothing. Robes have excess fabric that would get in the way of real work. And fabric was a luxury. A robe is a symbol of respect. I bought mine so I could go outside without going through the hassle of getting dressed. Then I started wearing it inside. When you wear it closed, as it should be, you feel warm and comfy (free plug for Burlington Coat factory where I bought it for $15) and sufficiently hidden from the world to walk outside. But throw it open (wear something underneath before you do this or you'll scare the neighbors) and let it flow behind you. Walk with your head held high. You're wearing a robe. And this is your kingdom.

Feel like a king. Feel like a man. Wear a bathrobe. Open.

2 comments:

  1. i feel fairly traumatized at the idea of wearing it open with nothing under...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't suggesting flashing people. I meant to wear it open with something underneath. However, to be the instrument of your trauma fills me with a special glow...

    ReplyDelete